DBIO Recommended Practices - Division Chair
Function: The Chair serves as chief executive officer of the Division and, subject to the Executive Board, shall have general supervision and control over its affairs.
Appointments: The Chair shall appoint the Chairs of each committee (except Nominations and Elections Committee) and members of each committee.Duties:
- To preside at all Executive Board and Division business meetings.
- To present or recommend to the Executive Board such measures as the Chair or a Division member considers desirable to further the objectives and broaden the effectiveness of the Division.
- To approve and sign, with the Treasurer, all contracts and legal documents.
- To serve as ex officio member of all Division committees, with the exception of the Nominations and Elections Committee.
- To represent the Division at meetings of the Special Libraries Association, including the Leadership Summit and Annual Conference. If unable to attend, to appoint a Division member, preferably an officer, to represent the Division; prior to the meeting, the appointee shall be briefed fully on business to be transacted.
- To coordinate planning of Division programs for the Annual Conference for which s/he is the Chair. To attend, or ensure Division representation at, Conference program planning sessions held at Leadership Summit and Annual Conferences pertaining to the Chair's Annual Conference programs.
- To attend administrative, orientation, and other meetings for Division Cabinet members, including Leadership Training sessions, Division Cabinet, and Joint Cabinet which are held during the Leadership Summit and Annual Conference.
- To evaluate and promote continuing and new projects and publications, coordinating when necessary with the appropriate staff liaison at SLA Headquarters.
- To serve on standing or ad hoc committees of the Division Cabinet as called for through the rotation process or as appointed by Division Cabinet Chair.
- To review the Division Chair section of the Recommended Practices annually in February. Submit corrections, revisions, etc. to the Director for inclusion in the next revision.
- To prepare a budget for the coming year in conjunction with the Executive Board.
- To appoint an auditor whose name has been recommended by the Treasurer, in compliance with SLA guidelines, to audit the Division accounts prior to the Treasurer's Annual Report.
- Preparing an annual report of the Division activities for submission to the Division Cabinet Chair of the Association, for presentation to Division members by email to the Division mailing list, and for publication in the Winter edition of Biofeedback.
- Preparing regular columns for Biofeedback.
- Assuring that the Division reports and official documents are filed appropriately and in a timely fashion according to the Association guidelines.
- Reporting to the SLA Conference Program Committee Chair and/or his designate, and to the Director, Conference & Meetings all details of the Division's programs for the annual conference. Submitting detailed documentation on approved forms promptly and in accordance with the Association's deadlines. Submitting requests for supplemental funding for Division conference programming to SLA if necessary.
- Preparing and submitting requests for action by the SLA Board of Directors.
- Submitting proposed Division’s Governing Document changes for review of approval by the SLA Governing Document Committee. Submitting changes to the membership in accordance with Article XIII of Division’s Governing Document for approval via ballot.
- Transferring files to the Chair-elect or Division Archivist as appropriate. All current files, including Division Recommended Practices, SLA Division Guidelines and associated materials, Conference Programming materials, Division and Committee annual reports, and other files of a timely nature should be given to the Chair-elect. All historical materials that are no longer of current reference value, and copies of the current year's Division and Committee annual reports should be given to the Archivist. Files include, but are not limited to, important correspondence, fax, e-mail, and summaries of verbal communications deemed important to the business of the Division.
- Sending to the appropriate SLA Publications Manager three copies of any publication issued by the Division, to be cited in Association publications and retained in Association archives.
- Compiling, and transmitting to the Secretary for distribution by SLA deadlines, the names, addresses, phone numbers, etc. of all Division officers and committee members.
Expenses: The Division may provide financial support of up to $1500 for each meeting to defray expenses in conjunction with attendance at the SLA Leadership Summit and the Annual Conference, if the incumbent's organization does not provide travel funds. Funds must be requested from the Treasurer, within 3 months of travel, using the Division's travel voucher and must include required receipts. See also: Appendix A - Qualifications, Expenses, Records and Reporting for Executive Board, Advisory Board/Council and Committees.Rev. April 2014